[Public-list] Re: Public-list Digest, Vol 450, Issue 1

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 14:11:07 PDT 2005

Gentlemen:  I have a 10 foot portabote which I used for some years as a
tender. Although I still have it,  I have replaced it with an
inflatable-- which has more to do with the need to retrieve dogs from
the water easily than the characteristics of the portabote itself.

Lessons learned are:
1.  I built a cradle which hangs from the stantions to carry it inboard
of the lifelines, just forward of the port genoa winch, after a boarding
wave tried unsuccessfully (only just) to tear it off of the lifeline
stantions to which it was tied. The cradle carries it off the deck and
allows for proper drainage and feeding the sheet to the winch.  Carried
forward, it increases windage at the bow too much.  More details on request.
2.   It can be assembled, in a pinch, in the space between the mast and
the forestay, with some difficulty.  I made a lifting harness, and use
the main or spinnicker halyard to lift in and out of the water.   Easy
to do by yourself.
3.   Most of the time, I assembled it on the dock and hauled behind
using a polypropylene painter--which floats.  However, when trailed
behind, the portabote has many of the characteristics of a canoe, and
MUST be fitted with trailing warps (or a loop).  Without drag to slow it
down, it will race froward to the end of its painter down a wave,
broach, roll, and fill.
4.   It is an extremely effective sea anchor.

That said,  I found it pleasant to use, row, and work on--The only
negative I have found is that the quality of the plywood used to make up
the seats and transom leaves something to be desired.  I am sure the
manufacturer specified marine ply--I am not sure they got it, or the
best quality of it.

Best,
Rob