[Public-list] Solar Panel

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Sun Dec 4 11:38:23 PST 2005

At 04:08 AM 12/4/05 -0800, Peter Staehling wrote:
>Do you guys usually stay hooked up to shore power and
>have a trickle charger running when the boat is not in
>use?

Pete... Isobar swings at a mooring so I can't use shore power.  Up until an
unfortunate windstorm last week, I had for about 10 years,  a small ~ 5
watt portable solar panel which I would  rig topside for when Isobar was on
the mooring during the week or on the hard over the winter as a trickle
charger. It wasn't really necessary since all it did was offset a battery's
self discharge which is minimal anyway. I don't use an electric bilge pump
(I have a wave driven mechanical one.) so there is no load beside self
discharge while she's moored.  My batteries didn't die even if I didn't use
the solar panel for a couple of months, nor did I  need a solar panel the
first 5 years I had the boat.

>After the comments from the group and looking at the
>logistics of buying and installing solar panels, I am
>thinking that for the short haul at least, I will not
>buy panels with substantial charging capability.  I
>still an thinking of a small panel to keep things
>topped up at times when the boat sits unattended for a
>while (especially over the winter).

That's probably a good idea. With a small cheap panel you can help top off,
but  it would take a month to recharge a dead battery. For that you would
need the expensive ugly array of panels that John Birch mentioned. They
seem only useful for long distance cruisers who spend a lot of time at
anchor and watch TV, etc.

>George's comment about "equalizing charge" has me
>wondering about whether I can charge both batteries
>with one panel.  I assume "equalizing charge" means
>that it independently charges both batteries at the
>same time.  Is that right?

George's type of charger is only applicable if you keep your boat at a pier
with electricity available. An equalizing charge  is a short time
overvoltage charge every once in  a while, meant to blast the crud from the
battery plates. It doesn't have anything to do about independently charging
the batteries - though George's neat new charger will do that, too.

>One other naive question.  There were comments about
>upgrading the alternator and the voltage regulator.
>How do I know what I currently have?  Can I tell by a
>visual inspection?

I'm not sure I would worry about  upgrading the alternator. I have whatever
ancient alternator that came with my atomic-4 and it keeps the batteries
charged. My electrical use is modest. For day sailing, the short motor use
in sortie and returning to the  marina makes up for the autotiller which is
about the only drain while sailing.  For overnight and longer cruises,  I
only add drain from cabin lights, fan, & an inverter to recharge all my
electronic toys. The power budget is easily balanced by the motoring
necessary in a typical Chessie summer cruse and motoring the last day
homeward bound with a case of get-homitis.

For ship's power I use 2 deep discharge 12V batteries and get better than 5
years life each. There is no need for a high current "starting battery".
The deep discharge batteries do a fine job of starting the faithful A4
without even paralleling them. Beware "Starting Batteries" or "Dual
Purpose" batteries; they can't take a significant discharge and will die
young. (Maybe you need one for a diesel? I don't know.)

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181