[Public-list] Solar Panel/ batteries

John Boor 5thseason at canada.com
Mon Dec 5 06:38:13 PST 2005

> Up here in the frozen north I do a lot of cruising 1-2
weeks at a time and rarely stay at a marine overnight so
power management is a criical thing.  I have 4 US 2200 6
volt 225 amp/hr batteries in a series parallel combination
with a seperate start battery.  this setup gives me 440ahr
supply for the boat, I use a Link 10 battery monitor system
a 90amp alternator with a Xantrex 612 multistage charger.
When I need to run the motor to recharge the batteries 100%
I must run the A4 for at least 4hrs at 1800 rpm (normal
cruising rpm is 1400), to me this is not acceptable and am
considering solar panels to suppliment charging from the
motor.  My normal consumption over 24 hour is about 78amps
this from the fridge, radio/cd/dvd tv, cabin lights and
anchor lights.  Looking at this I would have to run the A4
for 2 hrs per day to replace this power.  I calculate I
would need 2 80 watt panels to keep me close to full charge
in a 24 hr day.  Each panel give about 6.4 amps peak current
that must be halved to give a 12hr day average 3.3 amps/hr
times 12 = 38.8amps per day max.  With 2 panels I need not
run the engine for many days as long as it is sunny.  One
nice option I will look at is a solar boost system,  this
system maximizes the charge capacity of the panel while
allowing me to equalize the house batteries. The one problem
left is where to mount the panels and the only place is on
an arch over the lazerette area of my A30 but would not look
the best, this problem is "work in progress" problem. With
modern electronic's and creature comforts power management
will affect all sailors in the future.

John Boor
MAHSEER #380