[Public-list] thx for chainplate info and advice, and some thoughts on winter covers

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 7 06:29:35 PST 2005

Lee;
    Just remember that polyester composites  do get very brittle below 32 degrees
Farenheit and there will be considerable mass in an Al30 hull that never warms up
above freezing from either the greenhouse effect of the shrinkwrap tarp or the heater
in the boat. In fact this may be one situation that exacerbates some of the leaks
that develop on the seam near the ballast.
    I have both my Alberg  hulls in a non-heated shed at home and refuse to go onto
them until their temp is above about 40 degrees F.  (No one here drives a 'Vet in the
winter for that reason too.) With the mast up, you will be stressing the hull in ways
that you had not thought about just from wind force on the mast, never mind movable
ballast as it decides to move for work projects. These forces are greater than you
expect because  the pads are below the centre of balance, so increased possiblilities
of greater forces  from leverage of hull and mast on the pads  fromthe  increased
moments,  and the bearing surface area resisting the forces will be very small and
much lower on the hull  than normal compared to the amount of the hull that normally
resists mast leverage when afloat.
    In my opinion, your choice is convenient but risky.
Don  #528 and #469