[Public-list] thx for chainplate info and advice, and some thoughts on winter covers

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 9 06:37:22 PST 2005

I have taken the boat out of the water once with snow on the deck but with air
temps above 32 deg. F. on Nov 2 tht year.  My trailer has 10 pads and air ride
and with the boat  in water, the ballast was not cooled to ambient air temp so
well above freezing. I had a 2 hour drive home. I know that boats are moved here
in the winter for the boat show in Toronto but they will again be moved on air
ride axles and they all have spade keels. I would not move any boat that has the
ballast encapsulated and below 40 degrees air temp if the ballast had been below
the freezing point of water.
    My choice for working on the boat would be to try to prevent the ballast
from getting really cold and hence in a plastic covered,  double layer (with air
inflation between the layers) poly greenhouse type of structure for your current
temps suggested. The amount of solar energy stored in the soil and insulated by
the double poly will keep things above freezing for much of the winter.
Don #528