[Public-list] Tabernacle

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Dec 15 09:38:28 PST 2005

Hi Bob -

A tabernacle is a type of mast step.  It involves two fairly massively
constructed cheeks, port and starboard that in our boats would be approx. a
foot or more high.  The whole assembly would act as a hinge allowing the
mast to be swung down aft.

Picture the cheeks as having a base with vertical plates welded at 90
degrees and set up so that the are just far enough apart so that the mast
will stand between them.  Then picture the mast as having a hole drilled
through it for something like a 1" diameter pin.  The pin would go through
similar holes near the top of the tabernacle cheeks near the top...in my
example that might be about 10" above the heel of the mast.  When assembled,
the mast would be held with its heel slightly above the old step, which is
now the base of the tabernacle.

If you were to want to raise or lower the stick without recourse to a crane,
you would be able to run a halyard forward to the bow, then release the
forestay and the forward lower shrouds.  By easing the halyard you can lower
your own mast, the base pivoting on the tabernacle pin.  You can raise the
mast the same way.

Sounds great...

But.  If any sideways movement on the part of the mast happens on the way up
or down, you can either tear the tabernacle out of your cabin top or bend
the mast (imagine the leverage).  Or, imagine a dismasting; you stand a good
chance of tearing the tabernacle and a chunk of the cabin top out of the
boat instead of just losing the rigging companont that failed.  And, I think
they are ugly, but that is my problem!

I think that they are terrific for small boats that raise and lower their
sticks often, and for motorsailers with stumpy rigs on boats that go under
bridges often... I think that for boats like ours they open more potential
problems than they solve.

Bye the way - did you want to see pictures of my vang, and anchoring tackle
setup? Did I ever send you photos?  I just found some.

Gord