[Public-list] Tabernacle

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 12:24:17 PST 2005

Tabernacle; non-choir kind; it can be done. Some thoughts. :)

The Alberg 22 had a very interesting variation in it's tabernacle that  I
thought was an improvement over the traditional captive bolt design. Instead  of
having the mast pivot on a bolt that was captive in the mast and the  deck
part of the tabernacle, which would tear up the deck if the mast moved too  much
from side to side while raising or lowering, the bolt was captive in the
mast, but it rode in a sort of saddle, a groove in the deck plate of the
tabernacle that kept the pin from moving for and aft, but allowed the pin to  move up
and down, so that either end could raise significantly if the mast moved  from
side to side, without the bolt coming out of the groove.

Another article I once read about making it easier to raise and lower a  mast
in a tabernacle addressed the problem of the shrouds being slack while the
mast was going up until the mast was nearly vertical. The problem is with a
cabin top stepped mast, the vertical pivot point of the tabernacle bolt is above
 the vertical pivot point of the shroud attachment at the chainplate. This
guy  dealt with the problem by having a ring put into the upper shroud at the
height  of the mast step pivot point. Wires went from the ring down to the for
and aft  lower shrouds chainplates, making a triangle, with the apex being the
ring.  This, you remember, is at the height of the tabernacle pivot pin. As
the mast  goes up or down, the shroud tension remains constant.

Granted, for a boat as large as an A30, that ring would have to be very
strong, but if so, the system would definitely help. Maybe nicopressing the two
wires that lead to the lower shroud chainplates to the upper shroud at the
height of the mast step pivot point would be a better way to do it on a big
boat. Once the mast is stabilized from swinging side to side, rigging a pole on
the for face of the mast to get mechanical advantage to hold the weight of the
mast while raising or lowering becomes so much easier.

The tradtional way of stepping a mast without a crane is to use mast
'scissors'. For an A30, I would imagine you would need 2, 20 foot long beams, at
least 4 or five inches in diameter I would think, that had their bases fixed in
position at the chainplates, and their apex's joined at the top. Lines from
the  bow and stern to the apex would keep the scissors from swinging for and
aft. A  block and tackle from the apex to a bridle around the mast at the
spreaders  would lift the mast up, and the heel of the mast would be swung on to the
step,  or the mast could be raised by pivoting over a tabernacle. Cumbersome.
:)

Interesting problem to ponder, when it's 20 degrees outside. :)

Lee
Stargazer #255

In a message dated 12/15/2005 12:40:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,