[Public-list] Rudder cracked

Michael Grosh dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Dec 16 05:38:52 PST 2005

>It is all one piece. The rudder is fiberglassed around the rudder post, and
>I believe there >are some horizontal straps attached to the rudder post
>glassed inside of the rudder.
>John

There must be a lot of variation in how Whitby constructed the rudder and
post. Mine is removable without digging any holes. There are 4 bronze flat
head machine bolts that run horizontally through the post and into the
rudder.

Patty:

I'd grind all around the front of the rudder/post looking for fasteners-they
will be faired in with bondo or marinetex or some such. You might have just
had some movement in those fasteners, cracking the bondo, or perhaps bent
those long bolts. It doesn't take much to crack body filler;  I'm betting a
complete rudder rebuild is not required.

Michael