[Public-list] Mast Finish Question

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 16 05:58:38 PST 2005

Andrew;
I have used soda blasting on the hull and it is really very good. The crystal size is about 10X that which you have in the box of sodium bicarbonate in the fridge and the mode of action is that the energy for paint removal is obtained from the exploding crystal rather than abrasion. There was no apparent abrasion on the gelcoat when I did the bottom of #528 and I had to sand the area to get an abraided surface for adherance of the barrier layer. It is a fairly clean process as the volume of material is about 60 lbs an hour. The most obvious place to find soda blasting personel is in the yellow pages  under fire damage repairs or sand blasting, (but you do not want to use sand)or your fire insurance company to see who they use for damage
mop-up. I would think it should take no more than 1 hour to clean the mast completely, including all the tiny cracks and crevices.
Don #528