[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Dec 18 18:32:55 PST 2005

Jonathan Whittingham wrote:
>     1. The coamings are attached with bolts that "disappear" into the
> space bewtween the deck and the underside of the locker. There appears
> to be a cavity in there that now has the nut that must have dropped off
> when I unscrewed the bolt. Hmmm! What recomendations for re-attachement?
> I am thinking about drilling say a one inch hole from below into that
> cavity right where the horizontal hole will be to pull the new boards
> into place, so that I can slip a washer and nut in there.

I'm not sure what cavity you mean.  On Calypso, #543, the nuts are
mostly accessible by reaching up inside the locker.  There are a few
that were embedded in the layup, but not in a cavity.

>    2. I am considering rebuilding the coamings out of marine grade
> plywood and fibreglassing them before installing them. Aside from
> possible aesthetic protests from the purist faction, what opinions about
> this method?  Any other suggestions.

Having used glassed plywood to make some El Toro rudders, I think you'll
find that much more work than doing the job right with a board.  If the
cost of teak or mahogany is what's giving you pause, I would fall back
on "Chesapeake Teak" (pressure treated yellow pine) before plywood.  You
might also find that you can rejuvenate the original coamings with a
little ingenuity.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.