[Public-list] Insurance

Tim Erwin timerwin at charter.net
Thu Dec 29 15:13:29 PST 2005

Hello, I insured my Alberg 30 with Hagerty Insurance through Martha Scott,
who is a life long Alberg 30 sailor. I was with Boats Us and had no problems
except they wouldn't insure my boat for over $ 20,000 in value.
The premium is less with Hagerty but most importantly the insurance is "
stated value". That means that they don't depreciate the loss on a partial
or total basis.  Boat US insurance pays actual cash value which could be
less than your insured value.If an insurance company has the opportunity to
depreciate something made in the 60's, believe me, they will.

Any insurance company that knows anything about insuring boats or yachts
will require a survey. Hagerty requires a survey and a follow up one every
three years.I'm happy to do it because I know that my boat is properly
insured. With proper care, these classics should appreciate, not depreciate.

Over and out, Tim Erwin, Sonsy, # 200  , Rockport, Texas