[Public-list] Solar Panel

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun Dec 4 05:41:47 PST 2005

Pete

>How do I know what I currently have?  Can I tell by a
> visual inspection?

Pretty much all recent vintage alternaters have the
voltage regulator integral to the alternater. If you don't
have a 3"X3" or so box with a few spade connected wires
running out of it mounted on a bulkhead someplace, that's
what you have.

Also, the A4 instrument panel had an ammeter. Checkmate's
used to kick the charging system in and out continously. I
could hear the pitch change of the engine when that
happened. A voltage meter won't show that though.

> Do you guys usually stay hooked up to shore power and
> have a trickle charger running when the boat is not in
> use?

No, I just turn off the battery switch, but I don't have
an electric bilge pump. Good betteries hold their charge
for months. I do take the batteries out and keep them
someplace above freezing for winterization, then charge
them up before installing in spring.

I don't like stray DC current running amuck if I don't
need the risk... (electrolysis)

MichaelGrosh