[Public-list] Rudder cracked

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Dec 16 19:44:51 PST 2005

JOHN GRAVES wrote:
> It is all one piece. The rudder is fiberglassed around the rudder
 > post, and I believe there are some horizontal straps attached to the
 > rudder post glassed inside of the rudder.

On Calypso, #543, the rudder was molded as two fiberglass halves.  The
lower rudder post was a 1" brass rod which had been machined down to
1/2" for the pin at the bottom.  There were two 1/4" pins which had been
inserted at a right angle into holes in the 1" rod.  These were glassed
to one of the rudder sides.  The area between was filled with foamed resin.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash