[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Fri Dec 23 15:50:46 PST 2005

  Installing NEW teak coamings

  I replaced my cracked coamings with new teak last winter.  I used
plantation teak (South American--has more yellow in it) which is not quite
as nice as Asian teak but very satisfactory.   I gave them one coat of
varnish before I installed them to make sure every part was covered and then
applied 'ice & water' roofing material (available at Home Depot) to the
hidden side allowing some to protrude around the teak (later cut off and
sealed).   The outside side of the roofing material is not sticky and I
don't feel that it is necessary to be sticky.  I used bar clamps to bend the
piece into place (you have to remove the cockpit seats) and then drill the
first bolt hole from the back and insert the bolt.  For the bolts that are
threaded into the coaming box (winch box) I inserted short bolts with the
heads off to mark the teak when pressure was applied.  Then I took the piece
off and drilled the teak in the appropriate place.  Bending is easy and I
never felt that the anything was going to crack.  The most difficult part is
marking the coaming box holes.  After the whole side is in place drill the
tapered side piece on the cabin by drilling out two holes from inside the
cabin.  Once the hole location is made on the outside of the teak you can
carefully countersink for two plugs; insert the bolt and tighten and insert
the plugs.

  Apply eight coats of Epihanes wood gloss and you are almost done.  Seal
around the outside with your choice of sealant.  Lay tape along the deck and
the coaming with tape leaving only a narrow slot of exposed area to receive
the sealant.  Remove tape and you have a beautiful sealant job.

  The end result is beautiful and I have received many compliments.  The
real value is in the boat.  If you want to sell it you will receive more
than the value of the teak.  If you save $100 by using a 'poor cousin' like
plywood or ???? you will receive much less for your boat.

  I have made two changes to my boat to prevent the coaming from cracking
again.   1.  Change traveller so it doesn't stress the teak
  and 2.  Make sure teak is also varished and never exposed directly to the
weather.

  Peter Hay
  Rubicon #384
  Goderich, ON