[Public-list] Gas Fuel Tank

Robert E Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Mon Feb 14 08:07:21 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have a 16 gallon aluminum gas tank mounted behind the engine, It is
seeping gasoline and needs to be changed. I had replaced it many years
ago and, as I remember, was able to do it without removing the engine.
However, since then I have installed a 100 amp alternator driven off a
pulley on the front of the Atomic 4, installed an ampere-hour
electrical system that includes a large filter-suppressor, and the
exhaust system has been changed and the present exhaust system may not
be as easily removable as the original, all of which blocks access to
the tank.

In addition to the tank problem I need to have the shift cable changed.
I am going to have the boatyard fix these problems. (I have gotten too
old and cricky to do it myself.)

The boatyard thinks that the engine will have to be removed  to remove
the old one and install the new one. They also said that if the new
tank were mounted someplace other than behind the engine they could get
the old one out without removing the engine as long as they did not
have to put the new  one in the same location. (I am a little leery of
having the boatyard remove the engine.)

I am thinking of having the new one go in the starboard sail locker. I
see from the A30 list that several people have done this. Mike Lehman
and Michael Grosh installed 18 gallon tanks and John Manza an 11 gallon
tank in the starboard locker. I realize that storage space will be lost
in the locker. Is there any any problem with access to the engine
instrument panel with the tank located here? Is the gas gauge sensor
accessible? Is it possible to use a dip stick to measure fuel level?

With the rear mounted tank removed It should also give better access
when replacing the shift cable. I would appreciate any advice about
this and especially advice concerning how to specify to the boatyard
the way things should be done.(In the past I have done almost all of
the work on the boat except for the complete overhaul of the engine a
few years ago.)

Many thanks.

Bob Johns
Wind Call #397