[Public-list] Flattening Reef

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Thu Feb 17 11:00:25 PST 2005

Thanks Brian for your comments.

Regarding the second reef point,  I usually put a stopper knot at the
bitter end of the reef line and pull it tight into the boom-end sheave.  I
find that if the wind gets up enough to need a second reef,  Quest sails
relatively well with just the foresail unless it's close upwind work.  I
will probably go ahead and attach the second  reef line to the flattening
cringle this season and play with it a little.  As you mentioned, my sail
has the second clew cringle about 5" above the outhaul cringle but there
is also a corresponding reinforced cringle about the same distance above
the cringle at the tack.