[Public-list] Hurricane Ivan late update

Jim McNamara alberg30anemone at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 17:32:21 PST 2005

I am the other Alberg on Mobile Bay:
Anemone survived  Hurricane Ivan on Dauphin Island, but leaving the boat here was definately plan B.
I tried to follow my brother-in-law, Robert, in his Bristol Channel Cutter to Biloxi, Ms and eventually to Mandeville, La on the Saturday before the storm.
My Atomic 4 died under the Dauphin Island bridge and I had to anchor out overnight untill I could complete repairs.
Robert had goaded my sister Teecie and I for years to learn our knots. But no.....
So when the governor called for a mandatory evacuation of the island, Teecie and I had to act
quickly. We were able to back the boat out of the slip into our little bay about 150' where we set two stern anchors. We were half way there.
Next the bow, we found a nice size pine tree about 100' on shore and Teecie and Robert
have a really substantial flag pole at about the same distance.
Teecie, can you tie a bowline? No,she said, I thought you were going to learn. Ohh...
We found the knot book and as the traffic was fleeing the impending disaster, Teecie was on
a ladder wrapped around the thick part of a pine tree and I was at her feet holding the
knot book as high as I could.
Let's see the rabbit goes in the hole? or is it the rabbit comes out of the hole?
Well, we finally got Anemone secured and left with the other evacuees. I really did not want
to see her ride it out.
By some miracle and outstanding first-time knot work, Anemone withstood
gusts of up to 130 mph.
Next the rolling hitch.

Jim
Anemone #190