[Public-list] Mast Head Replacement and stuff

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Fri Feb 25 06:57:59 PST 2005

John,

I thought you had the clutch type winch otherwise total wire wouldn't work.
As Gord stated, my friends first mate almost broke her thumb due to lack of
experience with that type of winch.

As a note concerning replacement mast heads, everyone has options in
maintaining their boats. The original set up on the Alberg in my case, 1965
was a cast aluminum head with minimal meat which attaches to the mast. Also
I found when trying to install new rigging the swaged eye fitting would not
fit into the mast head pocket. The sheave in the middle of the mast had to
be replaced since it was chewed up for the previous years of sailing.

With the aforementioned issues on the table, it was time to design and
purchase a replacement mast head. The Alberg owners that have purchased
these mast heads are extremely happy and I am sure the 11 people that are in
this group purchase will also be satisfied.

I also found that the mast step stainless plate which bolted to the aluminum
plate had elongated holes and stress cracks when rebeding the step. The
replacement step has been modified and made into a single unit without any
adjustment points, I never adjusted the mast step over the years.

I guess the bottom line, if you don't look at materials on the boat, the
owner can wait until they fail and then replace the broken parts.

Stephen