[Public-list] 11 HP Diesel Question

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Thu Feb 3 06:22:14 PST 2005

Gord,

I thought initiating controversy was my unique talent, but I would be happy
to share.  I tend to be a victim of basing my decisions on underlying
concepts.  It's a little bit lazy, actually.  If  an underlying concept is
in place, the detail decisions tend to be easier to make.  For example, a
building design concept that focuses on the well being of front line staff
would suggest the worker bees, not the managers, get to sit near the windows
(works real well until the manager asks where his/her corner office is).

My concept relative to boat safety is why take unnecessary risks.  If it's
not necessary to have explosive material on board, then don't.  Of course,
thanks to Towney, I stumbled upon an A30 that happened to have a diesel.
Who knows how much "concept compromise" I would have applied had I found a
better deal on a boat with a gas engine.

Roger 148

PS Sidebar Story

I got a chance to do a milk run a few years ago from the Canary Islands to
Barbados on a 41' ketch.  We had a little Honda gas generator that we would
take out of the lazarette every afternoon and run until the tank emptied.
This allowed us to keep the refrigerator cold for about three hours a day
which temporarily subdued the aroma emanating from the big hunk of Roquefort
cheese stored therein.  It worked well until the thing started to stall
before running out of gas and we put it back in the lazarette with fuel in
the tank.  I told the skipper of my concern and he stuck his head in the
quarter berth and proclaimed, "I don't smell any more gas then usual."   I
wasn't quite sure how to reply, but I am pretty sure that was the day I quit
smoking.