[Public-list] diesel engine

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:22:56 PST 2005

If you have an Atomic 4 with the tank installed under the cockpit sole, you
can remove the tank without removing the engine. It means removing the wood
planel where the battery switch and switch panel is located. It means
removing the standpipe muffler, if you have one. You should also remove or
break off the spark plugs, since you don't what them poking into your chest.
Then you cut the strap and hoses and you grab ahold of the tank and pull and
wiggle side-to-side to break the glass at the rear of the tank and pull it
out over top the engine. It can be done in or out of the water. When I did
mine this way, I did not empty the tank, it was half full. It made the job
more difficult and [probably] more dangerous to remove the tank with fuel in
it, but I was in a hurry, so I took the risk.

Mike Lehman