[Public-list] Re: gasoline

Villo Marmei marmei_v at pathcom.com
Sat Feb 5 10:14:29 PST 2005

FIRE ????... You fellows are kidding...EXPLOSION is the word.
Years back, 100 yards out on the lake...right in front of my cottage and my
very eyes, a classic wooden power boat exploded with a big bang and
engulfed in a huge orange colored flame. When we went to rescue the boaters
there were 2 dead and one badly burned person. The boat?...nothing left.
The lake....full of floating debris,anywhere from 3ft blanks to match size
splinters.
That is gasoline for you.

Mind you...Proper Marine Education,fire and operation safety would have
avoided that.
What do they say?...4% of gas fumes mixed with air is already a dangerous
source for an explosion. Also gas fumes are heavier than air and slowly
drift down,collecting into the bilge,waiting there for you to light your
cigar or that electric spark.
Propane and Butane are also heavier than air and should be treated with
outmost care.
A safe sailing to you all.
Villo KC641