[Public-list] Trailering

J. Brown scuttle1 at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 6 11:21:16 PST 2005

I was in a similar situation last summer and this is what I looked at.

First I tried to find a suitable boat trailer. New they are between $6G and
$8G cnd http://www.yachtsales.com/trailers/mcs/sail.html and you have to
get them shipped or pick them up. For me that would be quite the drive so
added considerable expense.

Used trailers would seem to be a better route but finding one that fits
turned out to be difficult for me. I was in the middle of the continent,
local pickings were slim and the Alberg seems to be shorter than most boats
it's weight. All the used trailers I found needed work to axles, tires and
cradle. It seems people hold on to trailers until it needs repairs. People
wanted thousands of dollars for trailers I was only prepared to pay
hundreds for, but then the pickin's were slim and I was on a money and time
budget so I don't think I was the target market.

I've used trailers before and place a high value on reliability. I've seen
enough blown tires, failed bearings and even bent axles to know that trying
to go on the cheap can be very expensive.

Because I already had a cradle I considered getting the boat shipped. But
as you mentioned there is the problem of loading and unloading and I wanted
the ability to move the boat repeatedly without having to incur too much
expense and hassle.

So I started looking at flat deck trailers. There are thousands of them
around so there is a much better selection. Again the used market seemed a
little inflated because most of the used ones I looked at needed work.
Tires are not cheap and rewiring and painting take money and time as well.
Many of them had clear signs of being overloaded at one time or another. I
still think that a good used flatdeck can be found quite cheap but it would
take some time to check them all out. Trailers that sound great, even look
great in photos, often had other problems, broken springs for example.
Those could be the best deal if you have time to repair because some can be
had for just a few hundred dollars.

But after checking out several used trailers I realized that I didn't have
the time for that as I was also moving from one province to another.

So I started looking at new trailers. This is much easier because it is
more like comparing apples to apples. You can compare at home rather than
go look at every individual trailer.

You will need a drop deck otherwise you will be over the legal height. You
need at least two and better yet three axles. Best to have elect brakes on
all axles as local laws vary.

A 10,000# GWVR might do but the trailer would have to be very light. This
is the major disadvantage of a flat deck. Because there is more trailer the
payload is lower than a regular boat trailer.

My Alberg with cradle, engine, rigging, mast and boom (plus odds and ends)
weighs over 10,000lbs so a 10,000lb GVWR trailer would be way overloaded.

I eventually found, after shopping for a couple of months, a 14,000lb
trailer with two 7,000lb axles for $4G cnd. That doesn't mean it can
legally handle 14,000lbs. I have a ball hitch which has a 12,000lb limit
and my tires are only good for a bit more than 12,000lbs so even though the
trailer has a 14,000lb GVWR my tires and hitch make the legal max closer to
12,000lbs. Fully loaded with everything it weighed 13,600lbs so to be legal
I would have to shed some weight from the boat or change to a pintle hitch
and better tires. Happens to be easier for me to shed some weight but the
option to haul everything on the trailer is there.

Disadvantages of this set up would be the need for a Class 3 drivers
licence, I already have one so that didn't matter to me. Another
disadvantage is the need for a cradle. Again I already had one (although it
needs repairs) but one would have to be acquired or the trailer
modified  to secure the boat. Yet another disadvantage is getting a truck
with a 14,000lb tow rating.

I think for most people getting a proper boat trailer, either used or new
(they can be sold after use), is the best route. You should be able to
strip the boat down to the point where the trailer and boat would be less
than 10,000lbs. No need for class 3 licence or trailer, and a much wider
choice of tow vehicles.  BTW you will be overwidth but only by a few
inches, even the meanest inspector is not likely to be concerned about that
if everything else is in order.

http://www.jb0713.com/sail/trailer/6loaded.jpg

jb
Haefen #561