[Public-list] Mast Head Replacement

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 16:43:53 PST 2005

i dunno gord, that moss fetish thing may have tarnished your image more than you think. but  then i guess we all have our quirks
dan

Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:
Hi there John -

My opinion is that wire to rope halyards are fine until the wire or the
splice goes. Most people today go to all rope because they don't need the
expensive splice to replace the halyard...and ropes are available today that
come very close to the stretch resistance of wire.

Wire is still better with regard to wind resistance and mast turbulence
generation - it is so thin that the effect is less than the rope that would
be there instead. The turbulence issue is bigger than people sometimes
imagine as it effects the whole mainsail. That's why most later boats have
internal halyards. The smooth mast section allows a cleaner flow of air
over the sail behind it.

There - I have written a serious response to a message to repair the damage
done to my image by my moss fetish described in the last two I wrote.

Gord #426 Surprise