[Public-list] Shore Power on the cheap.

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 07:49:53 PST 2005

mike,
ignorance is bliss. i did that for three years in charleston. marina folks had no problem with it. of course they could have been ignorant as well. the boat sat unattended for up to three months with no problems. of course during the three years there were no hurricanes.
dan

"Meinhold, Michael J" <MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com> wrote:
I don't really want (and can't afford) a complete, safe shore power system
for Rinn Duin. I would, however, like to occasionally use power tools at the
dock, and occasionlly run a battery charger or a fan. I do not intend to
ever run an airconditioner or microwave or an oven.

Is there anything wrong or unsafe if I get a 30 amp to 15 amp converter
attached to the dock connector, plug in a 15 amp-rated extension cord, and
plug into that a 4 or 6 outlet power strip with a 15 amp circuit breaker. If
I also can find an in-line Ground Fault Interrupter, wouldn't this be as
safe as an installed shore power circuit? Should I have any concerns about
leaving this unattended if properly secure the line?

Mike
Rinn Duin #272

Michael J. Meinhold / Senior Engineer / SAIC
2111 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 303 / Alexandria, VA 22314-4679
PHONE : (703) 842-2606 FAX: (703) 842-2617 EMAIL :
michael.j.meinhold at saic.com