[Public-list] Cockpit Coamings and Companionway Cover

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Feb 22 18:34:21 PST 2005

Aboard Surprise I caulked the outside of the coaming at the deck but not the
inside on the principle that the bottom of the wood would be dryer if I did
not trap water.

I should not be admitting this but when we bought the boat in 2000, there
was a bit of moss about an inch long growing where the coaming meets the
cockpit. At first we made jokes about it but quickly grew to like it.
You've got to respect its tenacity.    In rainy or rough weather when there
is a lot of water on deck the moss gets cheery and bright green... On hot
dry days it hunkers down and survives.

We are very careful not to disturb it when sanding and varnishing etc.

Gord #426 Surprise