[Public-list] Water tank problem on older boats (or, boat falling apart, part one)

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 1 16:52:52 PST 2005

Took our boat (#229) out today, and notice that there seemed to be water seeping out from the small "seat" in the center of the V berth.  The water seemed to be seeping out along the bottom front of this seat.  A quick check showed that it was not coming from any through-hull or the waste holding tank.  I can only assume that this is coming from the water tank.  All the info about water tank problems in the maintenance manual refers to the newer models with an aluminum cover.  I cannot find any such cover; my fill is under the port v berth.  Can someone tell me exactly where the tank is located, and how it is constructed?  I always assumed that it took up space under the v berth rather than inside that seat but now I am not so sure.  If the seat is not part of the tank, do I need to remove it to get to the tank?  Anyone got any pics/drawings of how all this is put together?

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229