[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project A-30?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Jan 3 07:51:29 PST 2005

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the board as I boat shop.  I really don't have the
budget for an A-30, so I'll probably end up with a Pearson Triton or
something along those lines, but it's interesting to read the group
posts anyway.

So imagine my delight when I saw an affordable A-30 listed for sale on
the Plastic Classic board.  It listed as being in good shape except for
the exterior wood needing a little attention, and had a Yanmar diesel,
Sta-loks, roller furling, nearly new sails, sound decks, etc. --- $5000
obo.

After talking to the owner on the phone, I decided to go for a
look-see.  It was only a few hours out of my way from Fort Myers, Fla,
where I'd spent the holidays with some friends, to my brother's place
in Atlanta (the boat is in SE Georgia).

Let me report that it is definitely a project boat.  That's what I
would expect for $5000, although I will say it was not in nearly as
good a shape as I was led to believe in my conversation with the owner,
which did annoy me somewhat.  I don't understand what leads people to
describe a boat one way, when they will find out the truth anyway as
soon as the come to see it.  OTOH, it would have been underpriced if it
had actually been in the condition that I understood it to be in before
I looked.

I just thought I'd post this because the boat definitely needs a new
owner to save it from a trip to the big ocean in the sky.    I'd be
happy to relate what I saw if anyone is interested, but maybe a fair
distance away.

I'm trying to remember the boat's name for those who'd like to know
(maybe it's someone's long lost family boat!).  I think it was "Mataj."
  The hull number was #187 (or something really close to that - I don't
have the number here right now).  They brought it up from Florida, and
the port name on the stern is "Plantation."

I hope this boat finds a good home.  Meanwhile I will keep looking for
a boat that is somewhere between "total project" and "needs a little
elbow grease."  :-)

--- Rachel

Current fleet:  Fatty Knees 7' and a few old river kayaks.