[Public-list] RE: Woodstoves, Vol 252, Issue 2

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Mon Jan 10 12:38:13 PST 2005

Rachel,

I'm still boat-shopping at this point, but I wanted to ask you about
your woodstove.  Having lived with them for years in up-north cabins, I
love them and look forward to having one aboard a boat, despite the
added "hassle" vs. a diesel or other type (although you sure can store
a lot of BTUs in a gallon of diesel!).

Just wondering which brand/type you have, and how you like it as
compared to other wood stoves.  I've seen the "Sardine" model available
for purchase.  I wonder if there are any with the little glass door so
you can view the flames?  My own "land" woodstoves never had them, but
I have friends who do have the glass door and it is nice!

Do you ever burn the old-fashioned charcoal?  I never even knew about
it until I started researching boat wood-stoves.

Thanks,

--- Rachel

Rachel,

A wood stove on the boat is the epitome of luxury and ambiance.  Gordon
is correct, it does make the wine(single malt)better at the end of brisk
day. My boat has a Cole solid fuel stove mounted on the bulkhead that
works remarkably well in all but the coldest weather. When the
temperature is in the 20s, however, the stove is hard pressed to warm
the entire cabin so you have to sit close to it.  I generally use
charcoal briquettes but when I can find it I use the old fashioned
charcoal.  I once used coal which gets Very HOT and scared me to death.
There was no real problem but I did not like the idea of the stove
actually glowing. As of last night, there was a Cole stove on eBay for
what looks like a very good price though it apparently has some rust.

The best small solid fuel stove that I have seen is made by Paul Luke up
in Maine.  They are beautifully made with soapstone and the price is
substantial.  The soapstone really holds the heat, certainly better than
the thin stainless steel of my Cole stove.

Good luck with the boat hunt.

Ross
Delphi #40