[Public-list] careening ship

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Jan 19 12:59:21 PST 2005

Hi All,

I am thinking of redoing the bottom on #148 and would also like to do some work on the trailer.   The boat is under a 10 ton bridge crane and I thought of lifting her off the trailer and laying her on her side (sort of like careening [sp?] ship in the old days) so I could work from above rather than below the hull.

The boat is completely empty with nothing on board except plywood below and fiberglass on deck so she will never be lighter.  I can "roll" the keel on a 2x10 but am struggling with how to support the topsides.  I was thinking of supports that align with the plywood at the top of the main cabin bunks.  Has anyone tried this before?  Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Roger Kingsland
PERFECT intentions
A30 #148