[Public-list] Up The Mast

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Thu Jan 20 07:18:32 PST 2005

I might suggest you look at the Mast Mate product as a compromise.  I have
used this for a number of years and found it to be a safe method of going
aloft.  (disclaimer - I have no interest in this company)  You can see it
on their web site - mastmate.com.  I actually use this plus two other
separate attachment systems when going up.

The mast mate itself is a well constructed webbed ladder that is hoisted
up the mainsail track using the main halyard and is attached to the mast
using sail slides.  The top two steps are side by side so you can stand
and work at the masthead.

In addition to the steps they also sell a sturdy workbelt that has one
strap that attaches tightly around you waist with a second longer strap
that is led around the mast like a utility lineman.  This frees you hands
to work. It has a pouch attached to the side to hold tools etc.

I also use a third safety device that they sold to me at the time that
consists of a small cam device that is attached over a secured unused
halyard.  The cam has a short (18") strap that attaches to the rings on my
offshore harness. The cam rides up the fixed halyard and follows you up
the mast but any downward pressure on the strap locks the cam.  Going down
you simply uplift the cam strap and slide it down every step or two.

I know this may sound like overkill but for the most part I agree with
Gordon.  I would be VERY uncomfortable going up the mast using just the
steps.  This system allows you to work without putting your life in
someone else's hands.  To me the compromise is cost (read not cheap) and
the fact that you need to drop the mainsail slides off the track in order
to load the slides that are attached to the ladder.  Even still it takes
only about ten minutes to rig.