[Public-list] Re: ice

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Jan 28 16:45:58 PST 2005

I had the cockpit fill with snow, melt a bit, re-freeze, etc. plugging
up the drains. Never got the bilge that full, as, left in the water on
Chesapeake Bay the water temperature, even under four inches or so of
surface ice outside the boat, never got below 32 degrees.  It "warms"
the hull enough to keep bilge water from freezing. I worried about the
bilge pump freezing up and burning out, but so far that has not
happened. The cockpit tarp blew off in last Sunday's blow (knocked down
two 50 foot pines, 50 yards from the boat, so you know it was really
whistling.) Some snow got into the cockpit before I was able to replace
the tarp, but it melted on Wednesday. Now, of course, any water has
re-frozen.

- Gordon White
Brigadoon II