[Public-list] A-30 Tiller head

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Jan 30 20:16:21 PST 2005

> ...I was working on removing the tiller head. It is loose and
> needs to be replaced - after 35 years of service.

Dave,

The head is held primarily by a capscrew (the main bolt from the front) and 2 allen head set screws from the sides. Also, there is a horizontal bolt in the back, retained by a hex nut on the end. Removing that nut and loosening that bold effectively increases the ID, making it a little easier to slide it off. If it's really freed, borrow a puller which can allow you to push against the rudder post.

If your problem is excessive play, only replacing the cap likely won't solve the problem. On my 1966, I found that the hole in the rudder post was enlarged. I took off the tiller head and tapped it for the next side larger capscrew. I also drilled and takked the head for the next larger size of stainless allen head set screws (1/4 inch?). I actually ran the tap for the new setscrew through the enlarged hole in the tiller. I also had to slight increase the diameter and depth of the setscrew receiving holes int he rudder post.

The attachment is rock solid now... The weak pint is there the forked end casting onthe wood tiller attaches to the tiller head. I have this shimmes with several thin stainless washers, which has helped, but it's beginning to develop some play at that point again.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skiles, 1966, #201, (partly frozen) Cayuaga Lake, Ithaca, NY
dans at stmktg.com