[Public-list] Tiller head - new question?

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:58:30 PST 2005

The tiller head is off - thanks to your good advice. Here is what I
found

1. the diameter of the rudder post is 1 inch. I have a liner boat but
would assume the earlier boats have the same size rudder post. Any
problems with this idea? I am thinking of Ed's question here.

2. There were  no allen head  screws on the tiller head. There was a
slot that ran down the back of the tiller head which I found with a
mirror. I put a small screwdriver in the slot and tapped a few times and
the head came out  with no pressure. From what I found and the feeback I
got I think the  bolt that held the head on the rudder post is a  "pinch
bolt."  I also found that this bolt could not tighten the tiller head
fully because a previous owner had installed a hex head stainless steel
bolt that hung up on the side the tiller head and did not allow the
maximum amount of pinching. I thought monentarily that maybe the tiller
head and ears could be saved but not so. See # 3 below. This head type
may have been one of Whitby's 1970 improvements. Do not know on  this.

3. The hole where bolt goes through was all wallowed out - maybe
because of the stainless steel bolt that went through the "ears" had put
a lot of pressure on it over the years. As I see it that  puts me in the
market for a new tiller head and ears.

New questions

1. What is the best matrial for the bolts on the new tiller head and
"ears" should Edson not provide them. My guess is they wiill, but ...?

2. The tiller post moves very, very, very slightly when pushed. Almost
nothing. Do I have a new problem and if so what? and what remendy?

This process made me think there is some hope for me as a mechanic -
nontheless, though I am not looking for new problems,I think it is
important check out all options.

Standing by. Thanks again for the help.