[Public-list] Re: Boat eating zincs

Fureyb1 at aol.com Fureyb1 at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 09:10:08 PST 2005

boat was at a mooring off the yacht club in Cape May harbor-harbor has a  LOT
of wake but that alone would'nt eat the zinc. a guy dove on my boat and
replaced the shaft zinc around mid July & when I hauled the boat in early
November, that zinc had some corrosion also-just to confuse matters further, the
reason the guy was diving was his zinc had corroded too this was a J-35 moored
about ten boat lengthes from mine. Whether he was causing it or My boat was
anyone's guess-also, a boat right next to mine was fine-the same guy checked his
 zincs.

So, most of the time, my boat was at the mooring with the master battery
switch off.  I did sail & motor quite a bit last summer. Could aq  faulty ground
cause 12 volts to go down the prop shaft and attack the zinc? If  so, how do I
check that with the boat out of the water- I did have shore power  hooked to
a battery charger quite a bit when the boat was at the  dock.