[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project A-30?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Jan 3 13:49:39 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Onwu at aol.com wrote:

> Interesting story...................I have a 1972  Alberg30 I'm
> selling for
> $5,000.00 that has no engine but has brand new mylar racing sails
> (sails valued
> at $4,000.00).........the boat is in City Island ,NY..........I don't
> believe
> I'm asking for too much for the boat...............

Albergers,

I hope my message didn't come across wrong - like I was expecting
perfection for $5000.  Maybe I should have given more details.  I guess
I thought I wouldn't write an extremely long e-mail unless someone was
really interested.  Plus, I didn't want to offend the owner, if he is
on the list.

OTOH, many times - after driving a long distance to view a boat that
did not seem to be as described - I've wished that others who had
looked at it before me had posted their findings.  I just wish sellers
would be a bit more accurate when describing their boats.

At any rate, the boat I looked might or might not be worth the $5000 -
and it is "obo."  A newish Yanmar is certainly a desirable feature.  I
guess it all depends on what one is looking for.  The interior, for
example, was said to need "updating," but to be in basically good
condition.  In actuality, it had water damage and - I believe - would
need to be completely gutted.  It was hard to get too good a look due
to the bees (there were nests), but I could see that the overhead had
been painted, and that it was raining paint flakes everywhere, the sole
was water damaged, and it was in major disarray.  Definitely more than
"updating" necessary in my book.

I guess I was pretty surprised at the difference between the
description and the actual boat.  Had I understood the condition of the
boat, I would have known that I wasn't interested and saved myself 5
hours of driving and had a Sunday with my brother whom I was on my way
to visit.  But it could possibly be just the right boat for someone.

As I said before, I'd be happy to talk to anyone who is really
interested.  I might rather talk by phone than spend 45 minutes typing
up a comprehensive letter...

Respectfully,

--- Rachel