[Public-list] Surveyors and Budget boats

William Wallace tristan at one.net
Tue Jan 4 17:42:53 PST 2005

For the kind of sailor I am, and for the low budget sailboats I can
afford, I don't need nor want any surveys...About fifteen years ago I
bought a 1920's Arts and Crafts house.  It is finished with stucco on
the exterior.  We hired a supposedly reputable "appraiser who told me
the exact manufacturing date of the fifteen year old hot water heater
with a replacement value of a few hundred dollars, told me my house was
old with a serviceable furnace, a few settling cracks, etc. I asked him
to climb on the roof and inspect the roof carefully and the two
chimneys.  "Oh, don't worry," he said, "you can see the new shingles of
the new roof"

During the first month we moved in, the temperature never rose above 42
degrees...we called in a furnace repair man, who set the furnace motor
on the higher speed and we got up to 60 degrees... then we got Carbon
Monoxide, so we junked the furnace and replaced with a new furnace and
central air.  The stucco needed patching, I learned and did a great job
myself.  We found out that the chimney flashing was bad, and the
chimneys needed tuckpointing.  Now, whether a boat or a house (or old
car) I assess it myself, if I think the price will allow some money
left over for fixing and I think the value right, I buy.

My boat was listed with the broker originally for about $8,000, I
bought it for $3,500.  At that price, I will not pay a thousand or many
hundred dollars for a survey, cause I probably would have paid that
anyway for the boat.  a solid Meridian or Ranger with an inboard diesel
is a rare find!

IF I bought a boat for $25,000 or more, I might engage a surveyor who
knows intimately the kind of boat I am buying and comes well
recommended by people whom I trust and respect.

Scott Wallace, Sailor on the Seas of Life