[Public-list] sail track

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 07:49:14 PST 2005

John,
Your concern should be to NOT drill any more holes in the mast to replace the sail track!!!!  Find out what they used to fill the holes.  Fortunately, you have the old track to use as a template to locate the original holes.  You will need to be very careful to determine the sequence of the original pieces of sail track.  Then find the last hole at either end and carefully relocate the original holes.  Either straighten the original track and reinstall or use the original track as a template again to drill holes in your new track.

My concerns would be you don't want to weaken the mast by drilling another set of holes.  If the holes were filled with some nonstructural filler, i.e., resin then if you drilled a new set of holes helter skelter you might drill the new hole partially into the diameter of the old hole and the holding power of the fastener will be severely undermined. If the yard guys were careful in drilling out the old rivets then the BEST solution would be to go back into the original holes with the original size rivets.  If the yard guys were careless and oversized the original holes then the SECOND BEST solution would be to use the next size larger fastener into the now oversized hole.  You then need to be cautious to size the head of the fastener so that it will not jam in the sail slide.

You might be able to determine where the original holes are located under the new paint by taking a light and placing at one end of the mast and then looking down the mast toward the light. It would be better to do this at dark.  The 'raking light' might show the filled holes as darker dimples. Once located, use a drill smaller than the hole to locate each hole.  Then use a countersink to open the hole and carefully cut away the new paint to just slightly larger that the original sized hole, only at the surface!!!  If you carefully rock the countersink in a circular motion as you enlarge the hole it will normally center itself in the hole and not mess up the new paint around the hole. Then go back with the proper sized drill for the fastener you intend to use to open the hole thru the mast.

These guys did you no good service by filling the holes prior to repainting.

If the yard welded the original holes closed, then you can throw away the mast or use it for a flag pole because via the welding and heat they have ruined the temper of the Aluminum.

Good Luck,

Michael

"Budington, Jonathan" <jon at globalprintinginc.com> wrote:
The track was damaged when it was removed (bent) and the holes in the mast
were filled before it was painted. I have the sail track and planned to put
it back on - the person who replaced the rigging told me I should replace
the sale track.

Jon