[Public-list] Woodstove (was "Interior Paint")

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Jan 11 11:45:08 PST 2005

Don,

I had a chance to read the Interiors article you referenced in the current
DIY publication that refers to 3M Thinsulate and noticed that it has an R
value of 3 per inch which is about the same as fiberglass bat insulation.
For those considering using blanket type insulation, I would suggest also
looking into fiberglass duct insulation that can be had from any commercial
insulation retailer.  Our HVAC engineers specify the
stuff to line the interior of air-conditioning ducts where condensation
might
be a problem.  It is black, 1" thick and, to prevent airborne fibers, one
side is sealed.  The big advantage is the stuff is it's only about $0.30 per
square foot; disadvantage is one needs to wear a mask during install.

One added advantage of this type of insulation that is mentioned in the
article is acoustic absorption which helps deaden the reverberation (echo)
in spaces with predominately hard surfaces.  We designed a church with
hardwood floors that was a little too lively acoustically and got great
results by stapling duct liner under the pews.  No one knows it is there
and the space is almost perfect for preaching (but still a little to lively
for music).  Boat interiors usually have hard surfaces and increasing
acoustic absorption helps achieve that cozy, cocoon feeling below.  I have
thought of putting duct liner behind wood slats (with gaps between) on my
overhead but have to make sure it is real thin.  I am six feet tall and
there is precious little headroom in the main cabin.

All the best,

Roger
"PERFECT intentions," A30 #148