[Public-list] Potential new Alberg 30 owner

Paul Lacasse PLACASSE at SUSCOM-MAINE.NET
Sat Jan 15 08:14:12 PST 2005

Thanks Michael;
The responses and feedback I have received is incredible. I feel like a
"member of the family". I am going to go look at this boat again today with
a member of the association, Stephen Sousa, #114. I'm looking forward to
owning this, or possibly another Alberg 30. Thanks again to you and to all
who have responded.

Grateful
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: public-list-bounces at alberg30.org
[mailto:public-list-bounces at alberg30.org]On Behalf Of Michael Connolly
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 9:37 AM
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
Subject: Re: [Public-list] Potential new Alberg 30 owner

Paul,
Sounds like you have already made your decision, so no need to talk you into
purchasing the boat.  This boat will never disappoint you.
The Gray Marine is a great motor.  Don't worry about parts.  This motor was
made by Continental motors and they are still in business and parts are
easily available.  In fact I believe that if you are staying with a gas
auxiliary that the Gray is as good or better than the Atomic 4.  I was told
that Whitby switched to Atomic 4 to save some cost on the original price of
the boats.
#89 is a nice early boat.  Without the liner you have a bit more headroom
and can view the hull for maintenance and repairs easier.  The Alberg 30 is
not rocket science.  She is an excellent, solid, common sense design. All
original systems are simple and straight forward.  Maintenance is not mind
boggling, unless you make it so with massive electronic upgrades.

Paul..... post some pictures of your new boat so we can all oogle and ogle
over her. When someone on this list buys a new boat we all remember when we
first fell in Love.
So let the LOVE affair begin!!!!
Michael #133

Paul Lacasse <PLACASSE at SUSCOM-MAINE.NET> wrote:
Hey folks;
I am in the process of looking, possibly buying a 1965 #89 Alberg 30. I have
looked at this boat a couple of times and the hull is as solid as one can
be. The rigging is old and the engine is the original Graymarine 30. I have
decided on an Alberg 30 partially because of the book by John Vigor, "20
Small sailboats to take you anywhere" and partially because of the fact that
this boat is a beautiful, classic, classy boat, but primarily because of
this wonderful network I have found here. This would be my first "real"
sailboat (over 18ft). I am somewhere between chomping at the bit and having
an anxiety attack. I really want one of these boats, join the association
and sail off into the sunrise, but I'm not quite that naïve, not quite. I'll
need help, probably lots of it. I am a carpenter-home repair technician and
somewhat mechanical, as long as there are not too many electronics involved.
I don't have a lot of cash, I am old, but I want to sail further than the 3
mile limit. Hmmm....I'm just venting at this point. I will have lots of
questions, and I know, by reading, that you folks are up to the task. Thanks
you folks, for having this site.

Paul Lacasse

Brunswick, Maine