[Public-list] Lombardini Engines?

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 19 10:56:52 PST 2005

Ron Cameron put a Yanmar 2GM into hull #25 himself, and I have looked at doing that in my
boat too. For Ron, it involved cutting the current Atomic 4 mounts out, and making and
glassing new mounts into the hull for the new motor. The diesel needs a bigger diameter
shaft, so add the cutlass bearing and holder too,  and the prop is the opposite rotation to a
gas engine. You need  guages that work with the new motor, so instrument panel and exhaust.
as well as fuel filters and tank. I priced a drop in system (Yanmar 2GM and Vetus exhaust)
with a shop in Toronto and with taxes (15%), was just about $20,000 CDN. They have done
several Alberg 30s and say it now takes them about 40 hours including removal of all current
systems, making and glassing in the beds and mounts, and installing the new motor, shaft,
fuel tank, exhaust, and controls, and they know where to mount the beds to fit the engine
angle for the shaft. However, that gives one a completely new power system. My Atomic 4 will
be well dead before I put that much into auxiliary power for the motoring I do, which
includes the Welland Canal both ways twice a year.
    E-mail me off-list for a site to send motor information to,  to get the correct prop for
the motor. I also have a shareware Excel spread sheet prop calculator from Britain that gives
a fair estimate of both diameter and pitch for the information that you put into the sheet.
However for all prop calculations there is a 55% slip factor in the formula, which either is
including the usual engineering safety factors in a most visible manner,  or allowing  for a
lot of protection for the motor. From my research, I have found the biggest hurdle is to get
prop manufacturers to understand that the hull speed of an AL30 is as low as it is - about
10.5 feet per second based on a waterline of 21.67 feet.
Don #528