[Public-list] Re: up the mast

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 20 07:45:28 PST 2005

Gordon,

fiddle block with becket and swivel snap shackle - upper block
fiddle block with becket, cam cleat and swivel snap shackle - lower block
Jumar ascender (one of a pair)
http://store.karstsports.com/32200.html
170' 3/8" line
4 to 5' "flat" mountain climbing line (sometimes used for jacklines)
1/2 or 5/8" piece clear PVC hose - 6"
variously-sized S.S. rings and small shackles
4 - 5' 1/2" safety line

Each fitting situation needs to be thought through carefully.  Tape all
snap shackles.

Blocks must have appropriate beckets.  Rig all this in a 4:1 arrangement
such that the lower block attaches to the bosun's chair and the upper
block can be hoisted to, and doubleblocked at, the masthead with two
securely cleated off halyards, paying out the line as you raise the
upper block.  Keep bosun's chair at deck level.

Secure one end of the "flat" line to the Jumar - I use the right hand
one of the set.  Tie a bowline in the lower end, slipping the hose in to
form a stirrup.  Overall usable length will be determined by leg length.
  Experiment!

[Attach a short (4 - 5') safety line to the bosun's chair to tie around
the mast to prevent swinging at the masthead.]

Jumar/stirrup is secured on hauling part of tackle just up from lower
block arrangement.

Pump with foot, tailing line through cam cleat as needed.  Set rough
loops (double the line) in the tailed line every 10' or so to limit
unexpected descent.  Untie as descending.

Works well - at anchor; not attempted underway!  Have done it numerous
time, unattended.

Jack
KC641 Aldabi