[Public-list] Mast base

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Thu Jan 20 08:21:43 PST 2005

   My  Alberg  30  mast  base  is cracked and unweldable/unfixable.
Does
   anyone know where I might buy/get a new mast base or have one made?

   Thanks, Irene   [1]i_hoffman at hotmail.com
   "Mystique" #26

Irene,

My mast step was also cracked and broken and could not be welded.  I had
a machine shop cut the shoe out of the broken mast step and tap it for
two bolts to a stainless steel plate that was cut to the same size as
the original mast step.  The plate was actually two pieces of 1/8 inch
plate, welded together, the bottom one of which had the sides cut and
angled upward at 45 degrees and punched with holes to provide an
attachment points for blocks and the vang. Before the shoe was bolted to
the plates it was bedded in 3M 5200. The shoe now sticks about a quarter
inch further into the mast so the hole for the bolt through the base of
the mast does not line up. I did not drill a new hole because I do not
think that little bolt is going to hold the mast if it is going over.
I've had no problem with it for over five years.  I also put the
obligatory coin in a big gob of silicone in the mast step to pay for
fair winds.

Ross Horton
Delphi, 40