[Public-list] trailer for alberg 30

J. Brown scuttle1 at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 23 15:24:00 PST 2005

I put an Alberg 30 on a flat deck trailer and would recommend it. I'm sure
this has been covered before but here is my 2 cents:

A low boy or drop deck style is needed to keep under 13'6" (or whatever the
max is). I used a Load-Trail car hauler with 7,000# axles and a GVWR of
14,000lbs. Loaded the GVWR was 13,600lbs so I was glad I didn't cheap out
and get a 10,000#GVWR trailer like some suggested.

When shopping it is important to ensure the GVWR is actually 14,000lbs
because it is a market that has a number of variables, axles, tires,
ratings, hitches to just name a few. Don't believe the salesmen (I guess
that is a general rule) because they won't be with you if you get stopped
and weighed. They just really want to make a sale or move old stock, which
in my case they did so that isn't always bad.

Trailer cost $4G (cdn plus tax and insurance) and was one of the cheapest
ways I found to haul and store the boat. When I'm finished with it I'll
sell it and being a flat deck it will sell quicker than a sail boat
trailer. At least that's what I hope. :)

Disadvantages over having it shipped would include all the extra work and
time it takes to load and transport, the extra risk (unless you feel you
would treat/handle the boat better than a shipper), and the need for a
suitable truck and proper drivers license.

Pics available at: http://www.jb0713.com/sail/trailer/

jb