[Public-list] Auto-pilots

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jan 26 08:07:55 PST 2005

I am not sure what they are called now but I lived with an Autohelm 2000 on
a voyage from Martinique to Toronto via Bermuda and New York.  It worked
flawlessly but for one incident.

When we were about 300 miles south of Bermuda and motoring in a calm, the
thing steered the boat in a tight circle for no apparent reason. I was on
watch and watched the whole thing happen.  I remember thinking 'this is
interesting... I wonder how far we will keep turning". Once completing the
loop we continued north again.

Someone told me since that we may have passed over an American submarine  on
anti drug patrol, the mass of its steel hull deviating the Autohelm's flux
gate compass  momentarily.  Either that or the Bermuda Triangle bogeys are
real!

Gord #426