[Public-list] Ice in the Bilge

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jan 28 10:31:35 PST 2005

Hi there -

I once put rock salt in my wooden boat's bilge to act as a mild
preservative... It will attack solid ice but you can't count on it
liquifying it so much that you can bail the water out.  You will end up with
a honeycomb effect in the ice with no visible liquid water.  I think what
happens is the salt reacts with the ice working its way down until the
solution gets diluted to the point where it stops, then the water freezes
again.

At least you might expect that the honeycombed ice is less likely to bust
anything.  I had my Alberg's bilge flooded two years ago and dealt with it
by using an electric cube heater.  I directed the blower into the bilge and
pumped out the water into the galley sink as it accumulated.

Gord #426