[Public-list] Outboard bracket

Peter Amos p.a.amos at tesco.net
Mon Jan 31 08:35:29 PST 2005

Yes it is possible,I know cos I've done it.The problem is that the bracket
is almost useless if bolted direct to the transom.You have to make a wedge
shaped wooden pad to put between the transom and the outboard bracket to
bring it vertical.
I use mine to stow the dinghy outboard.In the past it has saved me
embarassment when the V belt on the diesel shredded while motoring on the
ICW in the middle of Fort Lauderdale.I was able to drop the outboard,start
it ,and move at about two knots until I could anchor and put on a new
belt.That was with a 3.3hp Johnson.A bigger outboard,say a 9.9hp would move
you reasonably well in calm water.The downside is cavitation and
over-revving in a chop and the extra weight carried that far back might
adjust the waterline.
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478