[Public-list] A-30 Tiller head

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Jan 31 11:10:48 PST 2005

thanks much. I am going to take all my advice with me out to the boat
this afternoon - now a even balmier 30 F in TC today.

>>> crufone at sbcglobal.net 1/31/2005 11:24:35 AM >>>
Dave,
On some tiller head fittings the pinch bolt that passes thru the
slotted tiller head actually passes next to a concave surface machined
into the rudder stock.  So if the bolt is loosened but not entirely
removed the tiller head will not come off the stock.  I would try
getting some penetrating oil into the mating surfaces.  Then work the
fitting up and down to encourage the oil to distribute and keep things
from really getting jammed up.  Many times when you move the fitting off
a bit and then back on all the way and then off a bit more and then back
on all the way........all the while squirting penetrating oil into the
mating surfaces it helps.

 When a fitting is very tight and you try to take if off in only one
motion tiny bits of metal get lodged between the mating surfaces and
these gouge and jam up causing a 'snowball effect' which can literally
cause the entire mess to be 'wedged' together.  The on and off motion
helps prevent the 'snowball' effect and helps the oil gain access to the
mating surfaces.

If you know for a fact that you are going to replace the fitting.  Then
carefully make cuts into the fitting with a hacksaw blade at one or two
places.  Cut almost to the rudder stock and then tap gently with a cold
chisel to spread open the bronze tiller head casting and it will easily
come off.

P.S. Since you are now in the frozen north it won't be hard locating a
'cold chisel'....;-)
Good luck, hope this helps.

Michael

Dave Terrell <DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu> wrote:
that had been done on my boat and it sounds like a good idea to
continue
that practice. the "ears" on mine are quite worn. It may be the case
that with the new parts from Edson, all will be tight again.Thanks.

Dan Sternglass wrote:
> The attachment is rock solid now... The weak pint is there the
forked

> end casting onthe wood tiller attaches to the tiller head. I have
this
> shimmes with several thin stainless washers, which has helped, but
it's
> beginning to develop some play at that point again.

I suggest putting a bushing between those "ears" on the tiller head.
It
seems to me that, instead of the casting on the tiller bending
outward,

these bend inward.

When I remember bygone days George
Dinwiddie