[Public-list] Propellers

jim mennucci quest433 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 17 18:32:39 PDT 2005

A free-wheeling prop has more drag compared to what?  Compared to a lock
propeller hiding in the deadwood--maybe.  Compared to a locked propeller
exposed to the normal inlet flow--no way.  A locked propeller is a lot like
a sea anchor--its a flat plate with flow normal to it.  Its twisted at the
pitch angle so its really a sine or cosine function but still its what they
call pressure drag which is a function of boat speed squared and projected
area--its really the local velocity of the inflow but for this exercise lets
just use boat speed.   If your racing and your props locked while someone
else has a folding prop then you at a big disadvantage.   Allowing a prop to
windmill actually solves the pressure drag problem.   The prop rotates but
it doesn't generate any lift, and if there's no lift there no drag or
torque.  There's friction in the transmission which retards the
free-wheeling rotation which does generate some lift and drag but this can
be pretty small.  So saying that there's more drag when windmilling has to
have caveats.

While I'm covering stuff that goes beyond the average layman understanding
let me comment on Mike Lehman comment a couple emails ago that halfing the
boat speed halfs the load on motor.  Halfing boat speed actually reduces the
laod by a factor 4.  Its boat speed squared  as I mentioned above which is
not linear as Mike inadvertantly advised.

Jim Mennucci
Emerald City