[Public-list] Wet bilge/Larger cockpit drains.

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 21 14:01:00 PDT 2005

I removed the old one's - cut larger holes for the thru-hulls and drains in
the sole of the cockpit.  Right now I have the rail scuppers plugged off,
but I have all the hose and fittings to drain them out the bilge pump
thru-hull.  This will keep all the hoses and fittings for the rail scuppers
above the waterline which seemed like a prudent thing to do.  Plus, once I
started installing the 2" drains, I found that there was no longer enough
room install a "y" fitting to join the rail scuppers to the cockpit drains.

I thought about adding 1" drains to the rear corners but like yourself
decided that I did not need any more holes in the boat.  I wonder if drains
in rear corners could be drained above the waterline?  Anyway, we like
putting my boy in the cockpit with the drains plugged so he can splash
around.  Then we drain them - the water still takes quite some time to drain
but at least you can see the water draining out.  With the old 7/8" drains
it was hard to tell if water was even draining or not.

I will be spending most of the weekend at the boat, so if you wanted to see
pictures of what I did, I could take some and email them to you.

Todd
Strathgowan #400