[Public-list] Loose screws

p.a.amos at tesco.net p.a.amos at tesco.net
Mon Jun 6 14:32:08 PDT 2005

Something else that may be worth checking is the chainplates.I had the mast unstepped earlier this year to fix the mast step.While it was down I checked the standing rigging,all was well there but the chainplates were a disaster waiting to happen.One chainplate was broken across a bolt hole and therefore held by only one bolt.There should have been three bolts but one had never been fitted.Another chainplate had a visible crack again across a bolt hole.One of the uppers had ovalised holes,and on  another the slotted heads of two of the bolts fell off at the touch of the screwdriver.All the bolts were threaded right up to the head so there was not even a full 1/4" of metal.
I replaced all chainplates and used 5/16""proper" bolts.
TaitTait 478